I am in the market for a new home. My top priority is to find a neighborhood that I will feel safe. Based on some past experience and research, the following is a list of things to consider before moving into a neighborhood.
1. Reputation – Check for police reports related to the neighborhood. Is there a lot of police activity?
2. Walk through the neighborhood. Do you feel safe? Does anything or anyone make you feel uncomfortable?
3. Are the homes and yards in the neighborhood well maintained?
4. Drive by in the evening. Is the street well lit?
5. Talk to neighbors. Look for anyone who has lived in the neighborhood for a long time. They tend to like to tell the history of the neighborhood.
If you are not comfortable with any of the five points above, continue your search.